Thursday, February 5, 2009

baby, it's cold outside.

This is the majestic Niagara Falls. Frozen. And I used to live not too far from, as locals commonly referred to it, "The Falls." I imagine we took the whole, beautiful spectacle for granted, as The Falls was the primary destination of any out-of-town visitors who came our way. Or a meandering ride on a Sunday afternoon. In the Summer, a family picnic, just to get out of the house. Sometimes in the Fall, a hike in the Niagara Gorge. Perhaps a little jaunt to one of the Sister Islands, to climb on the rocks just inches from the Rapids. To watch the tourists taking pictures of this lovely treasure that we had so taken for granted. No matter the season, there's always a perfect reason to visit this God-given wonder, an immense and perfect jewel in the crown of Mother Nature.

4 comments:

Donna said...

It's funny how we take things like the falls for granted! I really do miss them! Every time I go home for a visit, I try to get to the falls to see them. I loved the maid of the mist! A few years ago my family induged my wishes and we went on the maid of the mist and had so much fun! Maybe next year we can all have a little reunion in NY and go to the falls and Kelly's store!

Anonymous said...

Is that really what the falls look like when they're frozen? huh? I guess being a Florida boy, I'm just not used to the idea of things freezing? Just shows you how much I know!

Unknown said...

What a stunning picture, Pat! We could drive over there and see it in person on any winter weekend, but I'm not sure we're brave enough to challenge the ice and frigid temperatures! If you'd like more such pictures, go to http://elzr.com/imagery/, set your Preferences, type in "niagara winter" and click Search. Your eyes will pop out at the results! Click on an image and it will show up larger at the bottom of the page; just right-click that to save it to your hard drive. This is the site I use for most of my image searching. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I forgot to ask--where did you get the picture? It looks like it might be the Bridal Veil falls on the American side. I'd love to take you and your family over there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...