Monday, April 27, 2009

house in an orange grove.

The map of my Estate. Read it and weep, people!

After touring the Riverside Avondale homes, I began in earnest to look for affordable housing for myself and my family. And as luck would have it, I probably can't afford this house, either. Because it's the home of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, the critically acclaimed author of numerous novels, two of which are Cross Creek and The Yearling, winning the Pulitzer Prize for the latter . Isn't this house charming? It's a lovely little farm house. Small. Quaint. Breezy. With so much history and literary infusion.


This is the table at which the masterpieces were born, right out there on Marjorie's front porch, for all the world to see. Just look at the lovely grove of trees standing beyond the screen, inspiring her, encouraging her...


This is the garden area, just behind the house. Apparently Marjorie was quite the outdoors woman, spending much of her days hunting and fishing, planting and harvesting. Writing and rewriting. Entertaining interesting and famous people, way down yonder in Cross Creek. People like Spencer Tracy, Ernest Hemingway, Gregory Peck, to name a few.


This is the tenant house, which is probably more in-line with my budget. It comes complete with a clothes dryer. See it, over to the right of the porch? And apparently it comes stocked with a maid and butler. No, wait! Those crackers are my parents! Poor souls, they had to go to work on a farm in order to subsidize their social security. They're OK, they'll get breaks... I'll treat them right, s'long's as they don't take advantage of my generous nature.

OK, break's over, on your feet, get back to work!

1 comment:

J said...

Oh, Patti! You totally crack me up! I haven't heard anyone use the phrase "those crackers" since I lived in Fernandina Beach. Your blog always brings a smile to my face. :0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...