Friday, February 19, 2010

chili in Florida.


This weekend, I'll be attending a church retreat for the ladies, so I thought I had better make my boys something to eat while I'm away. Chili is always a good option, as they can just heat it up and not have to forage in the vast wasteland called my refrigerator. I shudder at what they might find in there and actually eat!

Here's the recipe, from The America's Test Kitchen cookbook:


ALL AMERICAN BEEF CHILI

2 tablespoons veg or extra virgin olive oil (I use the olive oil)
2 onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 (15.5-ounce) cans kidney or chili beans
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree

1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 15 seconds.

2. Add the beef and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, breaking up the beef with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain the fat. Stir in the beans, diced tomatoes with their juice, tomato puree, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.

3. Remove the lid and continue to simmer until the beef is tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

We like a little shredded Monterrey/jack or Colby cheese to garnish our bowls of chili, but you could use anything. Maybe sour cream, cilantro, chopped raw onion, Tabasco...definitely Tabasco!

Have a great weekend and I'll see you on the other side of Sunday...known in all parts of the world as Monday.

I like to sound cool...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...