Thursday, August 5, 2010

delicious steak salad!


I love salads.

It's what I always order when dining out...I think it drives my friends a little crazy. 

Only because I seldom waver from the beautiful greens...I don't try anything else.

And because we're back from vacation and I made some delicious, but semi-greasy sliders last night for dinner, today I'm going to share a salad recipe swiped from food network magazine (they don't capitalize the title~just so you know)...

STEAK-SPINACH SALAD WITH SOUR-CREAM POTATOES 
SERVES: 4

2       medium russet potatoes
3       tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/2  cup sour cream
2       tablespoons buttermilk
1/4  cup chopped fresh chives
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1       3/4-pound boneless sirloin steak
1       large red onion, sliced into thick rings
6       ounces baby spinach or chopped regular spinach
2 to 3 tablespoons steak sauce

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 deg.  Pierce the potatoes with a fork and brush with olive oil.  Bake directly on the oven rack until tender, about 1 hour.  Cool slightly, then cut into chunks.  Mix the sour cream, buttermilk, chives and lemon juice in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.  Stir in the potatoes.

2.  Meanwhile, preheat a grill to high.  Brush the steak and onion rings with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill the steak until marked on the bottom, about 7 minutes, then turn and cook 4 to 5 more minutes for medium-rare.  Grill the onion rings until charred, about 2 minutes per side.  Transfer the steak and onion rings to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.

3.  Roughly chop the onion rings and toss with the spinach, steak sauce, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.  Thinly slice the steak.  Divide the salad among plates, top with the steak and serve with potatoes.

I don't normally have buttermilk in my fridge...c'mon, who does?  Just squeeze a few drops of lemon juice or white vinegar into your milk and let sit for a few minutes.  You now have buttermilk.

Lowfat sour-cream works well...I also adjusted the amount of olive oil and steak sauce to suit my taste.  Play around with it...

I added some Romaine lettuce to the spinach, just to give it more substance and crunch. 

You can also put those onion slices under the broiler...I was afraid I was going to lose them to the grates if I cooked them on the grill.

Chives...I didn't have any, but I did have scallions, so I sliced them and used them instead.


This is a great light summer dinner!

1 comment:

Trudy said...

That looks so yummy.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. It was nice to see your comment. We go way too long between visits. Hope to hear from you again.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...