Thursday, November 12, 2009

amazing Grace.

As a little boy, Jonathan was the most spiritual child. He loved Jesus so much, that he would insist on stopping off at the chapel on our way home to kiss the feet of Jesus. True.

If one were to have a little taste of something at mealtime prior to our blessing, Jonathan would loudly protest and say, "ooooooooh, spit it out!" We would then bow our heads, he in his high-chair with his little curly head bent and recite our grace. We were then permitted to eat.

I recall one lunch... Jonathan and I were at McDonald's and naturally, we prayed prior to our meal (Jonathan was, when dining out, known to narc to his Grandmother on other guests who did not pray). Upon our "amen," an older gentleman rose from his seat, came over to our table and thanked us for our public display of faith and gratitude to God. I thought it very charming of this man to reaffirm our family's belief in thanking God for our bounty.

Today I was reflecting on this and I began to wonder why we're sensitive as to not wanting to offend anyone else in our realm with a public display of our gratitude to the Most High. So I ask you this:

~is anyone worried about disturbing others when jacking their car stereo as high as it can go?
~exposure of butt cracks and crotch-grabbing...do these people care that it might offend me?

~vulgar public language, children saying "suck," "pissed-off," and the "f-bomb." No wonder our children's test scores are so low...they can't express themselves with real words.

The saying "walk the walk" is a perfect example of gentle evangelising. Maybe we can make this "one nation, under God," once again, through our faith and gentle public reminders. Good people are the majority in this country, we really ought to make a stand against evil. Erasing God from all public venues is not going to keep good at the helm...it will only weaken the citizenry and eventually expose this great nation to overwhelming evil. And where will that leave our grandchildren? Pray. Loud and proud.

One last thing: I was going to wait until after Thanksgiving to say this, but to get into the swing of things...

Christmas Trees and Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Jana Nielson said...

Amen!!
I worried about posting spiritual things on my blog....on MY BLOG. I guess I was afraid of offending others, but like you said, I am constantly bombarded by things that ARE offensive...I can't control what others say and do, but I can choose to not be afraid of man...and fear God.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I think we are disturbed by the negative and that is why we do our thing quietly. Lead by sweet example instead of in your face.

And I long ago came to the point of...it is MY blog and I post what I want. lol

Merry Christmas to you too!

Thomas Fleming said...

Patti, this is the most AWESOME post! Amen to everything you said! I love this: "Pray. Loud and proud"! We should remember Matthew 5:15--"Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house." We don't have to be in anyone's face, just be ourselves and let that light that warms our own lives radiate out and, hopefully, attract a few others. If it's done with love, I think even those who are initially put off will have a change of heart by and by. Thanks, Patti!

The Queen said...

Even when the boys have friends over and they are going to eat supper with us, we ALL hold hands and pray before eating. Never a problem here.... makes me wonder if some of their friends do not have this experience at their homes as they participate willingly and without comment. I know that the boys have expressed to us that they are probably one of the few among their "group" that eat supper together, with their parents, on a regular basis.... makes my heart sad.

JR said...

Amen and Amen! Great post!

J said...

Great post, Patti!! I totally agree!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...