Friday, June 26, 2009

turn away, PETA!

Mom sang this song to me when I was a little girl. She'd sing it to me now, if I ask her. Mom had a whole repertoire of charming children's songs, songs that would ignite our imaginations. Not the sappy songs of today that we sing to our kids like, "I Love You, You Love Me" (which we sang with our son when he was a baby...I think that today I'll sing it to him), sung by a purple dinosaur named Barney. Captain Kangaroo never sang love songs to us, nor did Bozo the Clown. It was our Mom who sang to us, teaching us the dangers of random organic eating...what might happen if you swallowed a fly. Four little children, our own Southern Lady, all singing the perils of insect-consumption...


4 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I LOVE the Caption...and Mr. Greenjeans.

I was always a little leary of bunny rabbit.

My kids remember me singing Amazing Grace and The Wheels on the Bus.

JR said...

Love the video! Very cute.

Thomas Fleming said...

Boy, does this bring back memories! This was Donna's favorite song for me to sing her to sleep when she was little. Colin's favorite was the classic "Hole in the Bottom of the Sea," which is similar in concept--and even more of a challenge for the singer! Here's a pretty good rendition of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60NzLdjrbFI

J said...

I loved Captain Kangaroo...I wish that my kids knew that show. I love Mr. Moose and the ping pong balls. He was the best!

My kids know the old lady that swalled the fly...I didn't know that song until they taught me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...