Saturday, July 4, 2009

let freedom ring!

I have always loved musicals...stage or movie productions, either one, I'm not a snob. I vividly remember this film, 1776, which I fell in love with at the age of 10. In a nutshell, the plot centers around the Representatives of the original Thirteen Colonies, in a heated and volatile political debate concerning the rights of the colonists in their relationship to Great Britain. After a year of debating and drafting, in the sweltering heat of the summer of 1776 in the city of Philadelphia, the historic Declaration of Independence was signed. Amen.

Did you know that Benjamin Franklin was pushing for the turkey to be our national bird? He believed the eagle to be rather dim-witted and the turkey a more noble, intelligent bird. Thank goodness he didn't get his way, because that would have totally ruined Thanksgiving...who could have killed and roasted and then eaten our Nation's bird?

In this era of growing government, it's so important that we the people, hold tight of the basic principles of our Founding Fathers and not let our liberties gradually slip through our fingers. The Founders fought fiercely for the basic human rights of their colonists and those of the future citizens of these, our precious United States of America.
Happy 4th of July!

3 comments:

Thomas Fleming said...

HAPPY 4th to you and yours, Patii! I've always liked that rather quirky movie, too! I'd love to see a live performance on stage. And I think of you every time I think of the film. You might find my July 4th post of interest, too:
http://histruthis.blogspot.com/2009/07/our-lives-our-fortunes-and-our-sacred.html
. . . even if we patriots are today widely regarded as "obnoxious and disliked"!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I hope that you had a wonderful 4th!

J said...

I hope you had a great 4th, Patti! We spent the day at the Columbus Zoo, it was a good day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...