Thursday, December 30, 2010

what's up-chuck?

You know B.B., the wonder-ful dog.

She's sweet. She's obedient. She's .......

SICK!

So sick, she hurled, vomited and up-chucked this morning.

At 5:30 AM. On the floor on Jason's side of the bed (good going, girl. Thank you!).

And on her little bed.

And in the hallway.

She ran into the sewing room, thinking she was in trouble. How sweet.

So after I cleaned the mess up and beat her (just kidding!), I called to her, figuring she needed to go outside and finish any unfinished business still lurking within her.

So off she went and I got ready for work. I let her in, minus her treat because I'm not an idiot. OK, maybe I am, but I know better than to give a sick dog food.

Later on, Jonathan called me on my cell and informed me that BB was sick again. My boss, being a supreme animal-lover and all-around good-guy, told me to run home (we live 2.3 seconds from where I work) and see to her. And help Jonathan clean the carpet. She's my friend-boss. Boss-friend. She's a peach!

To make a long story even longer, I took our sick pooch to the vet. Enough is enough. Until, that is, I was presented with the estimate on her treatment.

$584.83...what?????!!!!!

Let me break it down for you:

Exam/Consultation           $49.00
Biohazard Waste Mgmt   $4.99 (this must be wiping off the thermometer)
Blood collection                $21.20
CBC chemist                    $143.90
Electrolytes Panel            $86.55 (a bowl of H2O?)
Abdominal 3 Views         $214.19
AIS Radiology report       $65.00

So I left her there...like I said, I'm an idiot. A phone call to my husband, a call to vet to inform them to not treat the dog, I was back in the exam room to pick up my doggie. At which point the doctor came in and said:

"You know, we can just give her a shot and see if it'll settle her stomach."

"How much?" I asked.

"One-hundred dollars," she replied.

Ahem...hello? Why didn't we do that in the first place?!

B.B. is feeling better tonight, even though she can't eat until tomorrow. But in the morning, I'm making her a meal of chicken and white rice. Doctor's orders. Which is fine with me...

...I saved $484.83. I can afford it.

2 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I hope she is feeling better. Poor puppy!!

Find a new vet...that is so out of line. He should have given you the shot option first.

Chicken and rice sounds good!

Unknown said...

any idea what she ate? check around and make sure she doesn't get it again. been there with the vet bills, just spent $600+ for 2 annual exams and shots and a year's worth of heartgard for each. spent thousands on our first "set" due to illnesses and end of life care. :( I am not looking forward to going thru that again, these guys are only 7 so hopefully that's a ways off. you are so funny, I wish I'd spent more time with you in high school (and middle school). chicken and rice works for dogs and humans, ginger too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...