Saturday, May 29, 2010

CALICO recipe!

Whenever there's a get-together at our house, Grandma offers to bring a side-dish to share with the other guests. Sometimes, though not very often, I tell her not to bring anything and just come over. And usually she just ignores me and brings her tallest grandson some deviled eggs. Because I don't make deviled eggs...and if I did, they'd never be as good as Grandma's. My jello isn't as good as Grandma's. Why bother making this stuff when you have Grandma, right?

Grandma knew that I had my hands full with the party last weekend and offered to make a dish...after reviewing the menu, she offered to make Calico Beans. The dish that captured my husband's heart when we were dating. The dish made every weekend, propelling Jason to propose to me and take me off John and Gail's hands.

I have to say, the guests raved over Grandma's beans. They wanted the coveted recipe! Yesterday, my friend Kathy interrogated me via text that the bean recipe had not yet been posted, as promised. "Well excuuuuuuuuuse me!" (Name the comedienne). She even threatened excommunication from our friendship if I didn't deliver the recipe, as promised. Geesh!

So without further ado:

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears..."

GRANDMA'S CALICO BEANS

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion-chopped fine

Brown and Drain

Then add to beef mixture:
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar**
1/2 cup of white sugar**
2 teaspoons mustard (regular)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Catsup
1 can Pork & Beans (15.5 oz can)
1 can Kidney Beans
1 can Navy, Great Northern, or Pinto Beans

Cook slowly on top of stove or bake in a 375-degree oven for 1 hour. I usually cook in the crockpot for 5 hours or so.

*Note: I often double the recipe and use a variety of canned beans, including black beans. However, if doubling, use 2 cans of the Pork & Beans.

**I use about half the amount of sugars called for--you decide how much.

Thank you, Mom, for sharing your excellent recipe with us. The world is going to be a much better place, now that we have your Calico Bean recipe!

I love you!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...